The IRCCS ISMETT Endoscopy Unit mainly focuses on bilio-pancreatic diseases and is the first center in Southern Italy for number of diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic ultrasounds (EUS + FNA) and bilio-pancreatic endoscopies (ERCP) performed.
Today endoscopy is an indispensable diagnostic step for all bilio-pancreatic diseases. all bilio-pancreatic endoscopic, diagnostic, and therapeutic tests for adult and pediatric patients are performed in an environment that offers maximum comfort, before and after the test: highly specialized staff, conscious sedation, and constant monitoring guarantee absolute safety. Endoscopic tests are carried out by a team of highly specialized endoscopists, anesthesiologists, and nurses. All tests are performed under anesthesia.
Main diseases diagnosed and treated:
- Pancreatic tumors (pancreatic adenocarcinoma, pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor).
- Pancreatic cysts (branch‐duct IPMNs, serous and mucinous cystadenoma).
- Bile duct (cholangiocarcinoma) and gallbladder tumors.
- Pancreatic pseudocysts and walled-off pancreatic necrosis (WOPN), ampulloma.
Main diagnostic and therapeutic methodologies:
- Diagnostic and therapeutic bilio-pancreatic EUS (with or without biopsy).
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) of the biliary tract and pancreas.
- EUS-guided endoluminal surgery (choledochoduodenostomy, gastroenteroanastomosis, cholecystoduodenostomy).
- Celiac plexus alcoholization for treatment of pancreatic pain.
Our staff (5 physicians, 10 nurses, and one charge nurse) has extended experience in digestive endoscopy and follows dedicated education and training programs on new methods and technologies.
- 4 rooms equipped with state-of-the-art technology.
- One for EUS
- One for radiology
- New generation endoscopes
- Centralized imaging scan system
Bilio-pancreatic endoscopy 2015-2020
- Dedicated OPC: 4,950 (visits)
- ERCP: 2,268
- Pediatric ERCP: 90
- EUS: 2,816
- LAMS (Lumen-apposing metal stents): 148
- Walled-off pancreatic necrosis (WOPN): 101
- Gastroenterostomy: 6
- Cholecystoduodenostomy: 6
- Choledochoduodenostomy: 35
Since 2015, we have published over 50 scientific papers, and co-authored multiple national and international studies and consortia on topics of endoscopy and bilio-pancreatic diseases.