Director: Michele Pilato
The Cardiac Surgery and Heart Transplantation Unit treats all cardiovascular diseases, elective, urgent, and emergency cases involving cardiac surgery:
- Coronary surgery with extracorporeal circulation and beating-heart surgery
- Valve replacement and reconstructive surgery with standard or minimally-invasive approaches
- Treatment of thoracic aorta diseases with hybrid (surgical and endovascular) techniques
- Surgery for congenital heart diseases in adult patients
- Surgery for heart failure
- VAD (ventricular assist device)
- Treatment of acute aortic dissection
The cardiac surgery diagnostic and therapeutic process is supported by a multidisciplinary team, which guarantees the quality of the final outcomes. All outcome data are constantly analyzed by data collectors and data managers of the STS database, and undergo a multidisciplinary verification audit.
According to AGENAS data (based on the Outcome National Program), mortality associated with cardiac surgery procedures performed at IRCCS-ISMETT is very low compared with other Italian centers.